Red Monk Studio is looking for a 3D SETS AND PROPS SURFACERS to join our team for an unannounced series in production!
We expect you to comply with the way assets are usually handled in the studio but also to be able to bring new ideas and be independent, while ensuring the artistic quality of the series jointly and under the supervision of the lead surfacer.
Surfacing Artists are responsible for giving models the visual surface qualities that make them appear believable.
Surfacing can encompass texture painting, procedural texturing, building shading networks, grooming and occasional sculpting or UV layout, on animated feature films.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Establish the look and qualities of props and environments
- Create high quality textures, either hand painted or procedural, to a level of detail necessary for production assets
- Create stylized or photo-realistic shading, depending on project requirements
- Follow artistic and technical direction from leads and supervisors, and present solutions or questions to pro-actively improve asset quality
- Coordinate with the modelling team and other departments to meet surfacing needs such as UVs
- Share knowledge and communicate openly with other artists on your team
- Assume responsibility for ensuring assigned work is produced to appropriate standard quality within the scheduled timeframe and deadline.
WHAT WE NEED
- 2+ years’ experience on series production
- Experience, demonstrated via reel, of quality texturing, shading, and surfacing
- Experience with node-based procedural shading
- Production experience in Maya, and with a modern raytracing package
- Production experience in Adobe Substance Painter / Designer
- Excellent attention to detail
- A passion for making beautiful looking cg assets by combining strong visual and technical skills
- Excellence in problem solving, and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality
- Strong communication skills, and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas
- Ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment
- Ability to work in an English-speaking environment
- An interest in technical surfacing and proceduralism, and/or technical troubleshooting
- An understanding of lighting and colour theory in audiovisual production
- Sculpting experience (preferably with Mudbox)
- Experience with scripting in Python
- Experience with Nuke
- Advanced degree or significant training in at least one or more of the following disciplines: computer graphics, computer science, digital media, filmmaking, photography, graphic design / illustration, foundation arts (drawing, painting, sculpture)
4 months starting from April
Thank you for applying at Red Monk Studio.
Fields marked with * are required